Monday, July 25, 2005

It's a small, small world

Pumpkin and I want to extend our heartfelt thanks to this amazing community of bloggers who offered their support for my lil guy and for allowing me to vent my spleen a little....y'all ROCK!!

Now along those lines, one of my favorite knit bloggers, Kerstin of At My Knit's End and her family have just suffered an untimely and tragic loss. Kerstin's brother-in-law, John Glick, was killed along with 2 of his friends in a car wreck. John was married only last year and his widow, Becky, not only lost her husband but one of the other men killed was Becky's bandmate as well.

In a show of comfort and support, Annie of The Knitty Gritty has organized a fiberly memorial for John. She is calling for our wonderful community to rally round and knit a square or two to sew together a knitted memorial afghan that Becky can keep to surround herself in our good wishes and thoughts. If you'd like to participate hop on over to Annie's blog for the details. She will even send you yarn if you want to knit but have no appropriate materials!

Here's one of my 8 x 8 inch squares:


A couple of month's ago, I won a contest on Kerstin's blog and my prize was 3 skeins of Kureyon. When I heard about this tragic accident, I immediately envisioned this square. I wanted a heart to represent the love John's family had for him and the crysral beads are to represent a crystal tear for thier great loss. The heart in my square is made from a tiny remnant of the yarn Kerstin sent me as my prize. I didn't know at the time, why I wanted to save this tiny snip of yarn...I do now. It's a small, small knitting world, isn't it?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful and a touching sentiment!

Ada said...

No words for this. Just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

It is a small and beautiful Blogworld we have. Very nice square!

Anonymous said...

So cool! I'll have to tell Becky the story. Thanks. :)

Kerstin

sillyewe said...

It *is* a beautiful sentiment. I am sure Becky will appreciate all the outpouring of support happening on these blogs. It is amazing to me how well the computer can bring some strangers so much closer while giving others the anonymity to be such a complete asshole. Pumpkin is a cutie. :0)

Anonymous said...

I read your comment about "knitting disasters" over on another blog - (which happily led me to you). But on that French Market bag that you knit and it was thin in places because of the Manos, have you considered "needle felting" into those thin areas of the bag? What I mean is you can take a bit of that leftover yarn and using the needle felting technique, you can make those thin patches thicker? I just took a needle felting class last night, and the teacher said you could even patch socks that way. Just an idea anyway. Chelle

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet, and I bet that they will appreciate all the thoughtfulness that went into that square.